Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Quit Complaining about the Complaining

I am not going to jump on the Bush Bashing Bandwagon for once. The people who are pissing me off now are the ones bitching about the people who are bitching. Pointing fingers, placing blame, and general belly-aching is, no offense to Abner Doubleday, the true national passtime. We love to blame, and gossip, and belly-ache about every little thing. Well now we have a great, big thing to bitch about, and while there are equal parts justified anger(everything that happened to the Gulf Coast was anticipated years ago), and knee-jerk rhetoric(George Bush hates black people) it is fundamental to the American way to bitch. We saw the beginnings of this back when the Iraq War started. Anyone who opposed the war was branded un-patriotic, but what is more American than disagreeing with those in power? That's what got this country started in the first place. Now folks are getting upset at the folks who are upset at the snail's pace of the initial hurricane relief efforts. I, myself, was shaking my fist in impotent rage that nothing was done sooner. And I'll happily foist the blame on whomever I deem deserving, but that hasn't stopped me from donating goods and blood to the cause. Let people bitch. As long as the food and water are going where they should, and the refugees finally have a dry, disease-free bed to sleep on, let the pundits rant and rave. It's the price we pay for constant, 24 hour access to news coverage. On a bad day there might be enough news to fill an hour. That leaves an awful lot of empty air time, and folks would complain just as loudly if the same stuff were broadcast over and over as they do now about talking heads trying to get one more drop of blood from an overused stone.

And yes, I realize that this rant is somewhat oxymoronic, but hey, I'm an American, dammit! :-)

Love and kisses,
Marius

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tell someone's been reading by blog. :)

I disagree that this is the price we pay for 24 hour news coverage, though, namely because I don't believe we need 24 hour news coverage. I burned out on it after 9/11.

If something of earth-shattering importance manages to impinge on my well-maintained ignorance, I can look it up on the Internet and get exactly the info I need and no more.

Unknown said...

Sometimes I wish I could retreat back into my news-ignoring shell, but every time I try I find myself jonesing like a junkie hating, but needing his next fix. I remember feeling much the same after 9/11, but I just couldn't turn it off.