Friday, September 23, 2005

I Embrace My Inner Geek

There were only two areas of geekdom that I have managed, up til now, to avoid. Comic books, and on-line gaming. Well, recently my friend Adam and my wife have conspired to get me into comic books. I am now hooked on Boneyard and The Teen Titans, dammit! And last night I dove headfirst into the digital world of on-line gaming.

A little history is in order here. I was always the worst video gamer of our merry little band. While Dave, and Steve, and Jeff were dominating Donkey Kong, or Joust, or Gauntlet, I had trouble with Pac-Man and Asteroids. And when Defender came out, with three different buttons and a joy-stick I turned in my quarters and stuck with my books. Over the years I have tried a few others, even purchasing a second hand Nintendo system, but for the most part my video gaming has been restricted to things like cards, and Scrabble, and Trivial Pursuit. Then Dave called me a couple of weeks ago.

"Dude, we're going to play Diablo II on line. Get the game and join us."

Well, it became quickly obvious why Dave is such a successful salesman, and within minutes I was on eBay looking for the software. It was found, and purchased, and last night we played. They all had played the game before, so I was something of a hinderance to the party, but we still managed to kill everything that came our way, although I got dead more than a couple of times. I haven't figured out how they can type and fight at the same time. Everytime I would stop to answer or send a message, when I looked up I was alone. But we all had fun, and as I was drinking my morning go-juice at oh-dark-thirty today I was killing quill-rats and zombies and nearly losing all track of time. This is too cool!

Yup, no doubt about it. I'm a geek. But at least I'm a married geek, so I do occasionally get laid. ;-)

Marius

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord, online rpg..

You do realize you just sold your soul dont you?

Thomas... 7 year Runescape player

Anonymous said...

Online games = PURE EVIL

Diablo II... How about:
1) Removing two desktop PCs from your house;
2) Loading them into the car;
3) Driving 6 hours to Atlanta;
4) Moving two PCs into your friends' house; and
5) Getting 5 PCs networked;

Just so you can have a LAN party to play Diablo II expansion sound?

Of course, we should mention that I was the only chick playing. :)

-1 year Dark Age of Camelot player
-5 year ex-Nexus player