Saturday, June 21, 2008

Like a ping-pong ball in a clothes dryer, so are the days of my life.


Ok, I've been slacking a bit. I promised you a full report on things Marius-like, so here it is. Right now I am under no obligation to go into work, and gas prices being what they are I am exercising that lack of need. Consequently I am dealing with lots of boredom and inertia. On Wednesday I decided to go for a very long bike ride to get my ass off of this chair and pry my brain out of the Intertubes. It was sunny, and hot, so I put on a sleeveless tee shirt and shorts, and slathered on the sunscreen. I sallied forth, entertained by one of my favorite podcasts, and ended up covering somewhere in the vicinity of twelve miles or so. Yay me!! Unfortunately the sunscreen gave out at some unknown point, and my arms got well cooked. Nothing debilitating, just annoying as hell. So over the past few days I've been dressing like an Eskimo every time I go out. It sucks. Thank Ipthar for Aloe gel.
On Thursday I had to go into work because workers were coming to replace a cracked mirror in our dance studio. I decided that, since I had to go in anyway I'd enlist the aid of my former high school student, JJ, in helping me move some heavy stuff around. I feel it important to point out that one of the few times my wife gets upset with me is when I'm damaged, yet I do hurtful things anyway. So I summoned the young one, who was eager to help, and we went in and she helped me move lots of stuff that would have taken me twice as long by myself, and probably left me a couch jockey for a few days. She is the same girl who we employ as the COA's nanny at SCA events, and her company is always welcome. I couldn't pay her, but I did feed her and get her away from the craziness at home for a while. You see her mom is getting married tonight, so chaos reigns supreme at the moment. Her mom likes us very much, and has invited us to the nuptials. We're looking forward to the party.
Then Thursday evening Mrs. Marius and I went to see The Incredible Hulk. Maybe I'm mellowing as I age, but I really enjoyed this movie. It's not going to make any record books, nor will there be any mention of it at next year's Oscars, but it did exactly what a Hulk movie should. Smash! Lots of stuff. It was a Godzilla movie on a slightly smaller scale with a bit more talking. And now that Marvel has taken the reigns of their movies they are tying them all together just like their comics. Robert Downey's Tony Starke puts in a brief appearance at the end for just that reason. Plus there is the obligatory, yet always fun cameo by Stan Lee, and a couple of cameos that will bring a smile if you catch them. I would recommend that should you wish to see this, catch at the movies. This flick needs the big screen.
And in the 'you have got to be fucking kidding me' department, Battlestar Galactica had it's mid-season finale(whatever the hell that is) last week, and I just found out that it won't be back on the air until January or February!!!!! FRAAAAAK!!!!!! Ah well, at least Stargate: Atlantis will be back in a few weeks. And Doctor Who is staying pretty good as well.
And speaking of shoes, I just tried to go find a pair of dress shoes for the wedding. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I refuse to pay $25 for a pair of shoes I will only wear, maybe, once a year. My sneakers are black, so they'll do. I did get a pair of dress socks, though.
Ok, that's all for now. What's up with y'all?

Peace,
Marius

1 comment:

Alysoun said...

Hmm...what's new with me..
Well, the Great Remodelling of 2008 comes to a grinding halt after the install of the new kitchen cabinets b/c we just paid the rest of our savings into a new AC unit. Quoth the AC tech: If it was a horse,I'd shoot it. We knew it was coming, but still..

Other than that, a BLISSFULLY boring week :)