Saturday, August 27, 2005

Epiphany

Lately I've been lamenting over my stressed and insufficient life, and have been struggling with the inward battle of 'am I really in the right line of work?'. Most of my friends, at least those whose level of antiquity approaches my own, are doing better, financially, than I am. Most have been married with multiple offspring for many years. Most own their own homes. SCAwise most of them are peers many times over. I have been trying not to get a case of the green-eyes, and I do not begrudge them one single iota of their successes. They have all worked very hard to get where they are. But their success seemed to me to further put my own shortcomings into sharper relief.

And then an epiphany came, as usual, from the least expected place.

I was just playing an online game where folks can chat as they play. A couple of the players were talking about how sucky it was that their vacations were almost over, and what a drag it would be going back to work. That gave me pause, because I haven't had to say that for more than a decade. I may not be rolling in the dough, but I love my job. Not only do I love doing theatre for a living, I love teaching it even more. I also have to keep reminding myself that most people don't wait to go to grad school until they are 36 or so. So it took me a little while longer than most to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. (I'll let you know when I get there) And every September, without exception, since 1996 I have said at some point, I'm glad the Summer's over. I'm ready to get back to work. Not everyone can say that. And I also didn't get married til I was 38, so y'all got quite a head start on me there.

So Carol, Dave and Robin, Adam and Bi, Jeff and Glea, Bob and Patty, Heff I doff my cap to your success, and I rejoice for you all. But henceforth I shall cease to look for my face reflected in your mirrors, except when I kick your asses at pool!
:-)

Peace out, my friends,
Marius

No comments: