Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tacos in Tallahassee?


Yup, the COA is coming home today, so I get to spend the next eight to ten hours in the car. Of course, it couldn't be that simple. Yesterday I took Mrs. Marius's car to get an oil change and multi-point inspection. It came back with a laundry list of needed and recommended repairs that would have totalled over $1K, and a lot of it I can do myself for a lot less. Primary on the list was the motor mounts; those pesky little things that keep the engine inside the car. The mechanic printed up the list and accompanying prices. Just to give you an idea of what I was dealing with, the upper motor mount, which is a relatively easy thing to replace, cost me $40 at my local auto parts store. The mechanic wanted to charge me $70 for the thing. And the rest of the parts were equally inflated. So I got the mount last night, and installed it this morning. It took longer to get the car up on jack stands than it did to swap the part. If I had a lift, like they do, it would have taken at the most 15 minutes, and that includes taking the part out of the box. I'm sure the labor from them would have been at least 1.5 hours. Grrrrr!!

Anyway, I'll be gone all day, so I hope you have a wonderful weekend. :-)

Adios,
Marius the Grease Monkey

No comments: