Sunday, December 16, 2007

Tourtieres



Recently Madame Stinkypaw wrote in her blog about a gustatory treat called a tourtiere that Canadians enjoy during the holiday season. She linked to a recipe, and while normally recipes are Greek to me, this one sounded quite yummy. It is a pie made with ground pork, onions, and seasonings. I had never tried to make such a thing, and the thought intrigued me. So I enquired further of the lady, and she gave me some tips. So today I went to the store and acquired the needed ingredients, and with no small amount of trepidation, set about to construct my own tourtieres. I was somewhat nervous because even though I do the majority of the cooking round these parts, most of what I make is in the grilled, baked, or Shake N Bake family. This pie required actually cooking. But everything went swimmingly, and they came out of the oven looking brown and tasty. But looks and taste are very different, especially with a child who turns her nose up at anything that isn't pizza or McDonalds. So I summoned the family, cut the pie, and held my breath. Not only was it tasty, but the Child-O-The-Apocalypse had seconds which is almost unheard of. So thanks to Stinkypaw for sharing. Our tummies are very happy.

Marius

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you make your own pie crust? If so, my hat is off. I cannot roll out a crust to save my soul.
They look awesome!

Unknown said...

While I did ponder doing so, I decided that making my own crust would just be asking for disaster. I bought frozen ones.

C.L.J. said...

My step mother tells stories of this treat; in Quebec, it was their Christmas Eve dinner. But after baking it, they'd set it outside in the snow to cool down and 'set.'

She's having a hard time dealing with it in Fort Myers.

BTW, don't be afeared of making crust; it's not hard. Go for it!

stinkypaw said...

They look gorgeous! I'm happy the Child-O-The-Apocalypse actually enjoyed that... Congrats Mr. Marius! It must be in your blood or something, after all your last name is French so maybe "way back" your relatives came from this neck of the woods... ;-)

Unknown said...

Actually the family did come down from the Great White North, though I cannot say whence. My grandfather traced the family tree back from Connecticut, to Canada, to France. And as odd as our name is, there are tons of them in New England.

Purple Pigeon said...

congrats on your culinary triumph! Though now they are liked, it will be a frequent job for you to make new and exciting pies!

Purple Pigeon said...

PS like the new blog template!

Anonymous said...

They look scrumptious! When next you are here, I shall expect some!