Saturday, December 08, 2007
The Carol of the Memes
meme–noun: a cultural item that is transmitted by repetition in a manner analogous to the biological transmission of genes.
Here's one that made the cross-species jump from MySpace to the blogosphere. I'll not tag, but feel free to join in the fun.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Gift bags are a godsend to a wrapping-challenged ham fist like me. Folks usually have no trouble identifying which packages I wrapped.
2. Real tree or Artificial? I prefer a real tree, but so do the kitties-o-the-apocalypse. We haven't gotten a tree yet this year. Not sure what direction we'll go.
3. When do you put up the tree? It varies. The young'n goes to her dad's every other year, so when she stays we put it up sooner, when she goes it's a crap shoot.
4. When do you take the tree down? Sometime after New Years.
5. Do you like egg nog? As I have blogged before, Publix eggnog is like crack to me.
6. Favourite gift received as a child? I'm not really sure. I remember a lot of my gifts, but no one really stands out. Possibly my Six Million Dollar Man action figure.(I do wish I hadn't donated that thing to a garage sale)
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yeah, we do. And it became a tradition at my mom's house after one night when my girlfriend and I came home very late, and very intoxicated, and I got the idea to put a little wind-up monster behind Joseph. We nearly woke the house laughing our asses off. Ever since I've made it my mission to slip some sort of creature into the barn.
8. Hardest person to buy for? I honestly don't keep that sort of information in my head.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Me! If it walks, talks, or blows up I'm happy.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Every year I vow I'm going to send out physical cards, and every year around the 23rd or so I realize I didn't and go to Hallmark.com.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? If someone went to the trouble to give me something, even if it's obviously a 're-gifting' I'm still grateful.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually with my last paycheck before Christmas. Often on the 24th.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Probably.
15. Favourite thing to eat at Christmas? We kinda drifted away from the 'Christmas Meal' a couple of decades ago, so I don't really associate foods with Christmas.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Ok, ladies, I know that clear lights are classier, and have an aesthetic beauty all their own, but give me lots of colors, lots of blinkies, and lots of talking ornaments.(oh, and a few starships as well) ;-)
17. Favourite Christmas song? I love the Carol of the Bells. And while we are on the subject, I read a news story last week about someone getting in trouble for singing Jingle Bells at school or some other state-sponsored event. I don't want to get into the whole 'separation of church and state' thing here, but I would like to point out that there is a class of 'Christmas' songs that have nothing to do with Christmas. Jingle Bells and Winter Wonderland are two such songs that are about winter, not Christmas. Just sayin.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? It depends on where we are living. While we were in Louisiana it was too far to drive home. On the other hand, we're only four hours or so from home here.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Sure. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer...uh...Frodo...Germaine...Bashful...Chewie...ummmmm, and Data.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? We have always taken the Vlad Tepes route and impaled an angel.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Morning, morning, morning.(besides, we have a young'n. can't really perpetuate the Santa story if you open your gifts the night before he 'arrives')
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Commercials.
23. Favourite ornament theme or colour? Starships
24. Favorite thing for Christmas dinner? See question 15.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
26. Who is most likely to respond to this? Beelzebub. That dude is all about Christmas.
27. Who is least likely to respond to this? John the Baptist...that prick!