Saturday, September 16, 2006

Why Can't Johnny Read? 'Cause the Bosses are Idiots!!

Ok, my mom called me last night and berated me, gently, over the paucity of local news in recent editions of The Corner. She was, this time, quite correct. I have been purposely avoiding blogging about my adventures through the hallowed halls of education, but for good reasons. 1. I was unsure as to the outcome of the tale. And, more importantly, 2. I was so disgusted that I didn't want to talk/write about it, lest I continue the bitch fest. But, a promise is a promise, so pray attend my tale of bureaucratic woe.

So, when last we met I was sent to a school for 'normal' kids. I went, and much to my dismay not only was I to teach Drana, but I was also to teach one class of...English 1! I haven't taken an English class in over twenty years. How in the screaming f*ck am I supposed to teach it? So the beleaguered department head, understandably expecting a 'real' teacher, added to her already Sisyphean work load the joyous duty of providing me with a lesson plan each day for a class that I had no clue how to teach. The Drama classes were somewhat better, but even this class was half populated with kids put there against their wills by the guidance counselors. Ya-freaking-hoo. And all along I kept being told by the people back at the arts school that I would be back 'any day now'. Meanwhile the kids at my new school, who were trying to deal with a steady stream of subs after their 'real' teacher went to jail for check fraud, kept asking me if I was staying. Not that they were particularly fond of me, since for some reason I expected them to be quiet in class and do their work, but they were just sick of not knowing who would be their teacher each day. And all I could tell them was that as far as I knew I wasn't going anywhere. Then, finally, on Wednesday I got a call. I'm going back. But, not until Monday. So I was just another sub for two days, and now I'm going back to the arts school. Now, I have no idea if any work has been done on the set since I left, but we have a show that's supposed to open next Thursday, and I just lost the better part of two weeks build time. And on top of that, I am going back to West Palm next weekend for my adoptive son's going away party, and there is no way in hell I'm missing that. So this next week should be interesting.
So what is the moral to this little tale? Mainly that the Hillsborough county school system doesn't give a fuck about the students. All they care about is having a body in the classroom, and who cares if that person can actually teach the subject. It's no wonder most freshmen I've seen in college can barely put a sentence together.

And there you have it, oh faithful few. I don't know how long I'll be in this situation, but I am actively looking to get back to collegiate teaching. They may be clueless, but at least they make sure the teachers know their shit.

I'm exhausted, disgusted, and tired of this whole thing. But, I will try to be more entertaining with my next entry.

Peace, dear ones.
Marius

5 comments:

Countess Dulcia MacPherson said...

And now you understand part of the reason why I no longer teach for Hillsborough County Schools, haven't in years and have no intention of going back. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard of a blessing? Next sunday put money into the plate (above the req. 10%) and see what happens!

Anonymous said...

Maybe this was a lesson that needed to be learned. . . as you well know, the Universe works and nothing happens without a reason. . . and I can't wait to see you!

xoxoxoxo
Puddy

Anonymous said...

I've talked with my department head and the boss of the Drama dept...they are interested in seeing your resume and all.
At least save your money from the offering plate, I can't imagine that paying for someone elses' Lexus will help things
-Patsy

Anonymous said...

Patsy,
I will support your efforts if it means getting Marius closer to Texas. Someone as old as him only has a few good years left, and I would prefer him to be closer to me. Doug