Monday, January 23, 2006

A Question for the Ladies

Help me, oh you of the female persuasion, to figure out this totally irrelevant yet perplexing quandary. I shop regularly at Wal-Mart, and occasionally at Target(and no, I do not pronounce it Tar-jay, thank you)and I have made an observation. The clientele at Wal-Mart resembles a Cops reunion, while the shoppers at Target look like they are on their way to an America's Next Top Model audition. To my male, uninitiated eyes there isn't that much difference in the selection and quality of merchandise at the two stores, so why such disparity in appearance.

I realize there are several generalizations in this query. Not all who shop
are female, and not all who go to Wal-Mart look like Jeff Foxworthy's distant cousins. Nor do all who shop at Target resemble Tara Banks on her way to a Prada debut, but as I am ill equipped to contemplate this properly, I appeal to you. Any thoughts?

Marius

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, there is a difference. Target actually changed it's direction about 2 years ago to become a store somewhere between Walmart & Penny's. Clothes at Walmart are boxy and uh, larger. The same at Target are slightly more tailored ( guess you wouldn't know who Issac Mizrahi is ). Furniture is nicer, as well as linens etc.
The settings are so different, as well. Walmart feels like your in a huge warehouse. It's grey and cold. Target feels more like a dept. store at the mall.
So if you can't tell the diff, do me a favor & don't design any "house" interiors for any shows. OK?
Ah well Marius, you are after all only a man. :)

Anonymous said...

why the big deal about clothes? they look better without

Anonymous said...

Because we get arrested if we don't wear clothes in public.

rosebuckle pretty much covered the diff between Target & Wal-Mart, and I really don't have anything to add there.

But my hubby knows the difference too, so it's not a "chick thang".

Anonymous said...

Well k,
That's probably true for only a small percentage. Do you really want to see most of the people at Walmart (or Target) naked? I definitely can't think of many men (not celebrities) that I want to see naked. I'm not prepared for that daily horror! How about you k, are you really in that great shape?

Anonymous said...

Well, thank you for the compliment! I apparently look like both a cop AND a top model! I must, since I shop at both stores. As rosebuckle says, there IS a difference in quality. Target has a much higher quality of merchandise in all departments and when one shops there for a gift, you don't feel like you're cheating the giftee at all. Really nice stuff at great prices.

Walmart, on the other hand, has infinitely inerior products, though it should be noted that they ARE improving somewhat. One of the things it has going for it is that it's open 24/7, which is great for me. I can hit it as I get off work. I've even been known to buy the odd article of clothing there (they really ARE getting better, though they'll never be up to Target's standard in that area). I seldom give Walmart merchandise as gifts. . . they look like they were bought there and that's just plain embarrassing!