Sunday, January 15, 2006

A Brief Bit of History

Gather 'round folks, and let me tell you a tale of the past. Many years ago, in the early stages of that wierdest of modern decades, the '80's, five lads in South Florida discovered that they shared an interest in a certain science fantasy film franchise, as well as a penchant for medieval violence. To that end constructed they 'swords' out of whatever scrap wood they could swipe from the local community theatre(well, the Technical Director let us...I mean them have the lumber), and shields out of the flimsiest of plywood. Then one of the lads, being more obsessed with Sith lords than feudal lords builded he a lightsabre out of a broomstick and a piece of pvc pipe. Flourescent orange was the sabre, and many a battle was fought in denim armor and football helms. Fingers were bruised, and teeth were broken(sorry, Jeff) and all but one of the young warriors went on to join the SCA and fight 'for real'. And through it all the one young would be Jedi harbored his fixation on the lightsabre which, in his opinion, was the coolest weapon ever imagined.

Fast forward a couple of decades and a thousand miles or so, when our not so young anymore hero finds, at a local bookstore, that working lightsabres have been made available to the public. No, they don't cut through stuff, but they do light up and make all the proper sounds. Surely this is what Heaven feels like. Finances and timing were not in conjunction that day, and the sabre was merely fondled, but not acquired.

One year later, back in Florida, our Jedi without portfolio sits at home when what to his wondering eyes should appear but Duke Sir Thumithak with a most excellent gift...a lightsabre. Oh frabjous day!! It lights up, it makes the right noises, it is, in a word, SWEET!!!!! I know that effusive gratitude makes him uncomfortable, so I thought I would tell the tale here just so he knows how much this means to me. I know it's just a toy, but it's a toy I've been waiting most of my life for.

Thanks, dude. :-)

2 comments:

Queen Bad Kitty said...

You crack me up , Darth Marius!
Funny to see a man with little to no melanin with a t-shirt on that says he's crossed to the "dark side".
Congrats on your childhood dream
being realized.
LOL
xo P

Turtle said...

Yes, our Thumi is far too generous. At an event this weekend past, he snuck a prezzie into my truck in the parking lot. Sneaky little SOB. I add my thanks to the man we all love.