Sunday, April 20, 2008

My Own Private Idaho


Or Florida if you will. I'm trying to remake myself a bit, and the first thing I'm going to do is blog more often. Starting on April 29th, my birthday, I am going to post daily. Thinking back to that whole NamBlamThanksMaam thing back in November it really wasn't that hard to blog every day, and it felt weird after to not do so. A lot of what stops me from blogging is the fear of being uninteresting. But I've been reading a web comic called Planet Karen which is a sort of diary of a woman in England, and her daily adventures are quite entertaining. Not because she has anything bizarre or unusual happening, but because of the way that she relates her life. And that got me thinking about your responses to the poll last year and how y'all seem to dig it most when I just chat with you. So I'm going to give it a shot. I'm also trying to make a podcast happen, but the mechanics of posting audio to the intertubes are a bit more complex. Essentially I'm thinking about using my long-ass daily commute as a studio to blather on about whatever is on my mind at the time. I've done a couple of experiments using two different recording media, and it seems that the microphone in my MP3 player is far superior to my micro-cassette recorder. So would any of you tune in?

Mrs. Marius is feeling a bit better, and we've worked out the mechanics of her, um, attachments, so that the messiness of earlier maintenance attempts is a thing of the past. I couldn't help commenting to her at one point that, given the fact that I am thirteen years older than she, shouldn't she be the one emptying my medical accoutrements? Alas, she didn't laugh. She is going a bit stir crazy, though, so I'm trying to think of someplace to take her today that won't involve a whole lot of walking or physical strain. Any ideas?

Another big thing that I can't believe I haven't shared with y'all yet is that I found some very dear friends of mine recently that I haven't heard from in at least twenty years. Way back in 1982, when I joined the SCA up in Gainesville, I was befriended by the then prince and princess of Trimaris, Guthrum and Ursula. When I think back to my mental state during that year I think if it hadn't been for them, and Elom and Ara, and Matt and Penny, and the rest of the An Croisaire folks I might not have survived that time. After I moved back to West Palm Beach they left Florida and I never saw them again. Fast forward to the early 90s and the advent of the internet. My first thought about it was that I could use it to find them. Well, it has taken another decade, but about a month ago I did a Google search and found Ursula! I sent her an email and she answered. She and Guthrum are no longer together, but they have kept in touch and she passed my message on to him, and now I am in communication with them both. And there was much rejoicing. :-)

Ok, Mrs. Marius is awake, and I must to my nursing duties. Peace, y'all.

Marius

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it, I'd listen!

Anonymous said...

Holy moly - Guthrum & Ursula! Wow! Every couple of years or so they come up in conversation.

So, please, now you will have to dish about them. After all, inquiring minds want to know!

- KA

Kali Dancing! said...

Aww, you're so sweet, Rick -- thanks for the lovely comments in your blog! So... who's KA? Connect us up, please? :)