Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Brain Droppings

Ok, here's a little game I'd like to play with y'all. Pick some random memory of some stupid tv moment from your childhood that still percolates in your brain and relate it here. I'm really hoping that I'm not the only one dealing with this sort of mental debris. Allow me to start.

There was a Gilligan's Island episode, well, one of many, where Gilligan had to perform some sort of native ritual. I don't really remember the situation, but I do remember the chant:


(Chief)Oh hoo ninny poo
(Warriors) Oh hoo ninny poo
(Chief) Oh hoo ha-ha hoo!
(Warriors)Oh hoo ha-ha hoo!

I will sometimes wake up with this nonesense running over and over in my head. Or the one where Gilligan was believed to be the reincarnation of a native chief and had to say the words Poolu see bagumba at the appropriate time, which of course he screwed up. Why do I remember this stupid stuff, yet forget to do my Louisiana taxes?

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not alone.

Mine is from a M*A*S*H episode. The priest had some mutual attractive thing going on with one of the nurses. He was telling someone (probably Hawkeye) about an incident with the nurse. He exclaimed:

"She hugged the stuffing out of me!!"

Why do I remember this? No clue.

ashlandchemist said...

Dear Marius,

You are not the only one out there who remembers old TV show quotations. I love this stuff - in fact I googled "Poolu see bagumba" just to see what would pop up and found your quote first off. I think Gilligan responded with a "Soo Be Lu....." and one or two other utterances.

Also wikiquotes is building a database filled with such musings from some of our old favorites - and you can help edit with what's in your brain.

So please carry on, enjoy and keep thinking and blogging this stuff. People like myself look for it.

Ken Forbes
Chemist
Fairfield, CA

Anonymous said...

NO YOU ARE NOT ALONE AND i JUST GOOGLE POO POO NINNY POO (CUZ THA TIS HOW i REMEMBER IT) AND YES I HEAR POOLU SEE BAGUMBA TOO. YOU ARE SO NOT ALONE.

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE WHERE GILLIGAN IS ASKED TO DRESS UP LIKE A GIRL AND HE SAYS OVER AND OVER "i'M NOT GONNA DRESS UP LIKE A GIRL, YOU CAN'T MAKE ME YOU CAN'T MAKE ME....I MOSTLY HEAR THE LATTER PART OF THE EXPRESSION "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME YOU CAN'T MAKE ME" WHEN I AM BEING PRESENTED WITH UNDESIREABLES