Friday, April 22, 2011

30 Day Film Challenge-Day 17 - My Favorite Drama Film

Those who know me would probably guess that the list of dramas that I like is short. I am an unapologetic escapist, so the drama category rarely entices me. I've never quite understood the desire to share in someone else's misery, so you will never hear the phrase, 'that was so great; I cried my eyes out' come from me. But, since there are a few dramas that I have enjoyed, and one that stands out, I give you Kenneth Branahg's 1989 masterpiece, Henry V. It may seem cliche for someone who works in Theatre to pick a Shakespeare movie, but to be honest I'm not all that huge a fan of the bard. I think his skill with words and poetry are still unmatched, but his abilities as a playwright were sadly overstated. But, be that as it may, Henry V is a brilliant bit of both directing and action from Branagh. He plays the young king as a man unsure of himself, yet determined to pursue his goals to the bloody end. The dialogue is spoken with a conversational, understated realism that makes Shakespeare's poetry shine, and the cast is the stuff of dreams. Derek Jacobi, Brian Blessed, Ian Holm, and a wonderful cameo from Emma Thompson along with hundreds of extras bring the, admittedly not overly accurate portrayal of the Battle of Agincourt to stunning, muddy, absolutely brilliant life. And Branagh's delivery of the St. Crispian's Day speech is nothing short of genius.


This is not a short film, nor is it always easy to watch, but it is one of, in my opinion, the best films ever made, and my favorite drama.

No comments: