Saturday, February 12, 2011

I'm A Dork?


So here's the scenario, and to us geeks it is not an unfamiliar one. One of our graduates, B, has returned to work in the costume shop for the next few weeks. Toward the end of the day yesterday a friend of hers came into the shop. She brings him into my office, and she introduces us. We all chat for a bit, then he sees the cut-away poster of the Enterprise on my wall. His eyes light up and we start talking Trek. As we get more and more into minutiae, B's eyes roll more and more often, and then finally she utters those all-too familiar words, "You guys are such dorks!" Now I would never contradict this indictment, for it is verily truth, and I have heard it so many times in similar situations that I barely even notice it anymore. But as I was driving home something about this little tableau rose to the fore of my mind. B is an accomplished seamstress, and her current vocation involves traveling about the country on the Renn Faire circuit where she dresses in either belly dance or tavern wench attire and sells tiny catapults and trebuchets. She also makes and wears her own pirate get ups and entertains tourists down south a bit. AND she is currently working on making a fully functional mermaid tail for further use in faires and in the ocean.


Yet I'm the dork!

Miss Pot, my name is Kettle. Nice to meet you.

Tee hee.

Love ya, B.

Marius the Dorky

6 comments:

rosebuckle said...

Well said Marius!
This reminds me of when I first moved to Florida in 1980. My ex's fellow electricians delighted in refering to us as Yankees. After the umpteenth time of hearing this I finaly turned on the "cracker" and said "the whole rest of the world considers you a Yankee too!"
Perhaps your friend needs to learn the phase, "a closed mouth gathers no feet"!

stinkypaw said...

I gues it's true what they say: 'takes one to know one' ;-)

Cute pict. btw

flurrious said...

On the contrary, you are not at all a dork. You are a geek.

http://www.greatwhitesnark.com/2010/03/25/difference-between-nerd-dork-and-geek-explained-in-a-venn-diagram/

Unknown said...

Why thank you. :-)

forget_who_you_are said...

lmao

forget_who_you_are said...

touché