Sunday, July 08, 2007

Ghost Rider




In a world where comic book films have risen to the highest of art, such as X-Men 1 & 2, Spiderman 2, and even Batman returns, and sunk to the depths of crapitude, such as Catwoman, and Batman and Robin, Ghost Rider leans a bit toward the bottom of the scale, but manages to just barely avoid the fall. We finished watching it about twenty minutes ago, and I was hoping that this would be one of those movies that lots of people hated, but was still fun to watch as a rental. No such luck. The effects were pretty cool, and they didn't screw with the origin too much, but the writing, editing, and acting were all pretty weak. Even Nicholas Cage, who is such a Ghost Rider fan that he reportedly sports a tattoo of the dude, seemed to have given up by the third act. I am not a fan of Mr. Cage, but I know he can do better than that. Did it suck? Not quite, but unless you have a burning(hee hee) desire to see it, you really aren't missing much. Maybe a sequel would be better, but I rather doubt there will be one.

And now a mea culpa. Loki, you are one hundred percent correct that I was missing the point with my student in my previous post. It is good that her parents are paying attention to what she is doing, and even if it seems that they are overdoing it a bit, I don't know what the situation is at home, and given how scary the world is out there, it is probably better to err on the side of caution. I stand chastised.

Ok, I'm off to Paragon City. Adios.

Marius

No comments: