Saturday, February 25, 2006

I'm Going To War!!(gulp)

Welcome, true believers, to a somewhat contradictory edition of The Corner. There's an old saying that goes 'be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.' As most of you know, I have dabbbled on and off over the last three decades(hay-seuss marimba!) with medieval reenactment in the guise of the Society for Creative Anachronism. The last three years have seen a resurgance of my association with the organization, and I even have armor and bruises anew to testify thusly. Now in March every year there is a gathering in Mississippi called Gulf Wars. It is a war between the kingdoms of Ansteorra and Trimaris, and is a week long excuse to wear funny clothes, hit people with sticks, eat, drink, and be merry. Usually I have a show that weekend and have never been able to attend. This year, however, it cooincides with my Spring Break, and we are not doing anything that would interfere. So, says I to Mrs. Marius, we could go to the war this year. Alas, quoth she, my new job will not allow it, and the young'n's Spring Break isn't till the week after. Sigh, quoth I, foiled again. But then she said, 'why don't you go? You haven't had a vacation in years. I'll get my mom to come up and help with the little 'un.' Really? says I. Really, really, says she.

Make it so!

But now the dread settles in. I have not donned the trappings of a 10th Century Dane for more than a few hours in many years. Nor have a spent a day in armor in many more. Faces have changed, and there will be many I won't recognize, remember, or know. I find myself looking for reasons to back out. But nay, I shan't!! Lord Wihtgar will rise again, gird his loins for battle, and most likely get his medieval buttocks handed to him, but dammit I'm going to have fun!!! I'm going to party like it's 1099, and I'm going to come home bruised, probably somewhat hungover, and hopefully a lot more relaxed.

Now if I can just remember what I did with my tights. ;-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I trust Mrs. M will kiss your boo-boos when you get home! You KNOW I think you're out of your mind, right? And you think MY brain isn't working to its full capacity???? Hah!

Anonymous said...

I dunno if I'm going to bring my armor and fight at War. Most likely I'll just wander about Merchant's Row, take notes, attend a few classes at the Smithy and watch Titus and Quintus run around like lost puppies.

Lord T

Anonymous said...

Go kick some armored medieval ass!!!

Please be careful.

Turtle said...

Marius?? At Gulf War?? OMG! Sign #4.38 of the apocolypse! Well, you are welcome to hang out with me and the gang. We generally have a good time, and you'd prolly click well with "the boys". We fight hard, eat lots, and party hardy. You and I can commiserate, since we'll both be sans wimmins...

Anonymous said...

Well Deddy,I guess since mum won't be there it will fall to me to keep an eye on you and make sure you behave...see ya there! YOYO