Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I Slack, Therefore I Might Be

Ok, ok, I've been a lazy SOB lately. I'm sorry, dear readers. I could lie and pretend that I was just waiting for the President's State-O-The-Union(tm) speech tonight, but you deserve better than that. The truth is that teaching high school is draining my will to live, let alone blog. While I have a few...very few...students whom I love dearly and hope to follow their careers as long as possible, the vast majority of them are spoiled, rude, undiciplined, vulgar little brats. And this is a magnet school for the arts, for cripes sake! I spend more time telling them to STFU each day than I do teaching. And when I'm not fed up with the kids, the administration is telling me that we have to get more kids in if we're to keep our jobs! I have twenty-five kids in my Stagecraft 1 class, and they are constantly bitching that I don't let them into the shop enough, yet they can't pay attention for more than 5 minutes(and I'm being very generous here) to any sort of lecture on how to keep from lopping off limbs and digits. Oh, sure, they love the day I tell them about my little hand-holding incident with a table saw, but then they also laughed at a news report about some guy who killed and ate his wife. I am seriously considering looking into a nice, cushy 9-5 civil service gig and hanging up the whole Theatre thing once and for all. The idea of dealing with nothing more annoying than a file cabinet is very appealing to me right now. I don't even find the idea of having to buy more than two ties repugnant at this time, and that scares the bejeezus out of me.

So, in a nutshell the above rant is why I've been a bit silent. But, I will do my best to post more often, and be more entertaining. If I can manage to stay awake long enough, I'm sure I'll get plenty of material from the Shrub Prince's tap dance tonight.

Love and kisses,
Marius

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Puddy of mine! Take a deep breath and count to 10 (or maybe 100 . . . or even 1000 . ....more if necessary). Kids can be a pain in the ass but if you're able to reach just one, then you've achieved a lot.

Scary to think of you in a 9-5 office environment. It may even give me nightmares.

OMG! State-o-the-Union addy is on. . . Dubbya comes in a like a rock star, fercryingoutloud! There is something seriously wrong with this country when he is greeted like that and people vote for their American Idol in larger numbers than those who vote for the Prez.

Personally, I vote we pool our funds, buy an island (which must be autonomous and not under ANY country's jurisdiction) and live our lives out in peace and video games! And Clay.

Anonymous said...

oThere is always the option of teaching stagecraft and design in a fairly new facility just 4 states over. There's also a resident user group that brings in shows, often dance groups...
Screw that HS crap and jaunt out here for a peek. Esp if the Mrs. would work at a bank