Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Terrible Intimacy


It's 5:30 on Saturday morning, and I've been awake for an hour. I didn't do this on purpose, I just woke up at 4 and couldn't get back to sleep. So I've been piddling about on the Intertubes and nursing a wee hangover from an overindulgence of beer yestereve. I just finished reading Phil Plait's most recent Bad Astronomy blog entry which included a link to an interview with Adam Savage of the Mythbusters. I have heard numerous interviews with Mr. Savage, and one would imagine that I'd be thrilled to listen to another as he is a very interesting and fabulously intelligent speaker, but something stopped me. Lately I've noticed that I have been reluctant to pursue podcasts and interviews involving some of the celebrities I admire, and I think I've finally put my finger on why. The Internet in general, and podcasts specifically, have allowed us to become very familiar with the celebs we like via such things as blogs, and twitter, and Facebook, etc., yet there is a frustration that comes with this perceived intimacy. I can read Adam Savage's or Wil Wheaton's tweets, and feel like I'm part of their circle of friends, but in reality I'm just one out of hundreds of thousands that got those very same tweets. I can respond, but the odds of my yop being heard over the multitude of yips are vanishingly small, and this has lead, at least in my case, to a growing frustration made all the more so by the fact that the people I follow are very accessible, but due to the sheer volume of people trying to access them they are also very inaccessible. I guess I'm spoiled by the interactions I've had with the celebs I've interviewed on Starbase 66, and with the wonderful relationships I've formed with podcasters like Richard Smith and Allison Downing, not to mention the interaction I greatly enjoy with the fans of my show. I guess I just wish that the illusion of intimacy weren't so...illusory. Ah well, as we forge ahead into these uncharted waters of human interaction there are bound to be emotional byproducts hitherto unseen, and unforeseeable. Actually, when I think of it that way, it's pretty groovy.

Enjoy your weekend, y'all.

Marius

1 comment:

Rosebuckle said...

If you think about it, it may lead to people truely understanding that we are more similar than we are different. And maybe, just maybe less fear of "others".
Or not.