Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Year of Feathers and Anvils


Well, this time last year I was wallowing in sorrow and self-pity. This year has been better, but it has been a very strange December. Part of it was the absence of my mother, which in itself is still a bit of a raw nerve, but I just couldn't get into the Christmas spirit this year. Part of it was me being bummed that I wasn't going to get to go down to South Florida this year due to child care issues, but at the last minute my In-Laws ex machina flew the COA to them in Mississippi, so I was able to go. Then, just before Christmas the radiator in my wife's car cracked, and we had to replace it. "Shall I cancel my trip?" quoth I. "NO!" my wife emphatically replied. I guess I was getting a bit edgy. So Sunday I drove the 200+ miles and expected a fun time. But when I woke up Monday morning I felt crappy. The cold that had been deviling my wife and the COA for weeks chose to wait til I was far away to sink its virusey claws into me. So rather than do my usual running all over trying to see everyone I could, I took it easy. The plan was to stay through the New Year, then maybe drive up the West Coast and visit friends on the way home. Yesterday I felt great, it seemed I was victorious, and celebrated with some wine and a late evening of poker. But this morning I awoke feeling like a steam roller had run me over. I had enough, and decided to come home, as the only thing I really wanted was my own bed. So now I'm home, and feeling slightly better, but still weak and shaky. I saw some of my dearest friends, but missed others, and for that I'm sorry. The COA comes home tomorrow, and then reality begins anew on Monday.

As I ponder this year, I cannot help but think it was an ok one. I thank all that is good in the world for my family, and for my friends both 'real' and 'imaginary'. And I must rejoice in the new-found friendship of my shipmates, Karen and Kennedy, and their amazing work on the Starbase this year.

I am looking forward to 2010. We'll be moving in the summer, and I'm going to try my best to stop being so stressed about everything. I hope to be a better husband, father, podcaster, and blogger. I hope to get back into my armor, and onto the lyst field, and by virtue of that back into some smaller jeans.

And so I wish you all a very happy 2010. Let's make it the best one ever! ;-)

Live long, and party on.
Marius

No comments: