Saturday, August 06, 2011

30 Days of Female Awesomeness:Day 4: A Female Character You Relate To


I'm going to have to go with Ellen Ripley for this one. If you don't know who she is, Ripley was the Warrant Officer on board the space tug Nostromo, the unlucky ship that discovered the Alien, and spawned a series of films, books, and comics. At least in Alien and Aliens I completely got Ripley. With the possible exception of going back for the cat in Alien all of her actions, from not letting Kane back aboard to the ultimate destruction of the Nostromo made perfect sense to me. I felt like I would have reacted in exactly the same way she did...although she did have an unfortunate tendency to warn the bad guys that she was going to expose them, with near fatal consequences. Of course Alien 3 threw all of that out of the airlock, and Alien 4 I'd just as soon not think about, but for the first two films I really liked, respected, and related to Ripley.

No comments: